Here is the debate I had with Mikey Smith on May 3, 2022.
It was a nice chat. I enjoyed talking with him. He did get very upset at the end because of a comment at the end from CretanBull. however, he got a little mixed up and thought it was Geist View that made the comment. I hope Mikey can forgive.
There were a few things that came up during the debate, I am putting the links here for everyone, in particular Mikey. I hope he takes this as an opportunity to review this evidence.
These are not in any order:
- Definition of Level:
- Map of Mikey’s laser test area:
- Topographic Maps for Canada:
- Choose Themes->Raster->Digital Topographic Raster Maps – 1:250 000 Download the one with “prtpdf” for a PDF version. There are also TIFF files and others as well.
- Surveyor’s maps are referenced to North American Datum 1927 or 1983 which are both ellipsoids
- A good earth curve calculator that can deal with refraction unlike the one flat earthers like to deceive people with:
- For over-land observations, use refraction of 0.17 to 0.50, higher in the evening, even higher if it was a sunny day.
- Over water use 0.5-0.9, higher in the evening, even higher if it was a sunny day.
- Measurements of refraction in the air:
- Example of a detailed measurement of the effects of refraction:
- Mikey’s observation of the distant hills:
- Real photograph of the earth from space:
- Want to examine them yourself? You can personally visit the archives:
- Geistview’s cross-section of Kansas:
- Kansas “flatter than a pancake”:
- Note the Journal is was posted in: “Annals of Improbable Research (AIR)”
- This is a satire journal
- The article is satire, but it does include real data. The problem for flat earthers is that it specifically notes that the elevation data is referenced to the digital elevation model (DEM) data from the United States Geological Survey, an ellipsoid. This confirms the earth is spherical.