Flat earthers claim that a sextant cannot work on a globe to obtain one’s position using celestial navigation. Could this be true?
Flattys have spent many months patting themselves on the back proudly proclaiming they have the correct knowledge on how sextants actually can be used to get a position on the earth. So, I wanted to give one of the smartest and most knowledgeable flat earthers on the earth to explain how a sextant REALLY works using flat earth geometry.
This smartest and most knowledgeable flat earther goes by “Bumpy Earther” and used to go by “Hip Hop Hippie”. We often still refer to him as HHH.
I invited him to debate Craig aka FTFE on the sextants. He accepted. Here is the format of the debate:
- Toon: Intro
- HHH: Intro
- FTFE: Intro
- All: Banter, compliment HHH on his new hair style, deride FTFE about his goofy accent
- HHH: 10 minutes, presentation on how a sextant obtains one’s position using flat earth geometryNote: the time is flexible. Much better to have a complete explanation than to artificially cut it short.
- FTFE: 10 minutes, presentation on how a sextant obtains one’s position using globe geometry
- Note: the time is flexible. Much better to have a complete explanation than to artificially cut it short.
- Blind challenge:
- I will provide a set of measurements from a sextant. These will be real measurements from a real location. I will not provide the location, just the sextant measurements. HHH and FTFE will then work to determine the location of the observer. During this time, I will interact with the audience, remind people of upcoming shows, etc. To keep the show from going long, either of you are free enlist help from anyone during this time. So long as you use the appropriate geometry and can show the process used follows the process used in the presentation. You mute your mic, or whatever you want while this happens.
- When both participants are done, they will both email the lat/long to me.
- Once the emails are sent, I will reveal the lat/long and a link to where I obtained the measurements. This will be included on this web page.
- Then you both can reveal your answers. Whoever is closest wins my eternal adoration.
Several days before the debate I sent the following information to both FTFE and HHH:
Credit to Thad and Tiny Captain for their help in selecting and verifying the observation.